Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Little things I noticed


I love how convenient they make things for you here. Even having a 10 hour layover in an Airport is fun. May be it’s because I am too excited experiencing things for the first time. I am so tired from the sleeplessness and all the flight plus jet lag. But, I managed to stay awake and communicate with friends back home. I also needed to let my brother know I am doing just fine so that my family will put their mind to ease.  Taking a domestic flight is no hassle like taking international fights. I already checked in my bags so I don’t need to worry about it till I reach to Salt Lake City. We didn’t need to go through security because we already did that before coming to the gate I am at right now. So, when its time they just let us board to the plane. This plane was not as I expected. It’s tiny and the inside was not fancy. But, It is an hour and Forty Five minute flight so I think it’s appropriate. But the fight was a bit rough. More bumpy and sometimes uncomfortable. I tried to get a sleep but I kept waking up because the plane was shaking once in a while. So, I just kept looking outside through the window. Luckily this time I got the window seat. We reached to Atlanta in time. I need to mention that I was wowed by how big this city is. Looking down from the plane at night, it is so bright and so beautiful. I hope to see this city one day. Not from the airplane window though. We landed at Hartsfield Jackson International Airport. So far so good. I just need to find my next gate to take the flight to Salt Lake City now. I tracked my flight number from the big screen they have and know what gate I needed to go. I have got 2 hours to do that and it’s more than enough of course. Airports here have lots of workers who are right there to help you on whatever you need. So, I just went to one of the officers and asked which way the gate is and he gave directions for me and wished me luck. So, I followed his directions and reached my gate.  At this time, saying I was so tired would be an understatement. I was kind of sleep walking wishing they have a bed in the airport and if it was ok to miss my flight. But I remembered Shelley’s instructions that she sent me by email while I was in Ethiopia. So, I tried my best to be awake and finally they announced we can board to the plane. This will be my final flight of my travel. It’s been tough but rewarding. I have missed all of my American family and knowing that I am going to see them soon is making me more excited and less tired. But on the flight to SLC, I managed to get a sleep for some time. This time we had a pretty big airplane and once again I got the window seat. Next to my seat were a mom and her little daughter. I love the kids here. They are so adorable and smart. Hearing them talking in English just brings smile to my face. I missed Leah, Lily and Everett so much. I am so glad I will be with them for quite a while. I know I have got a lot to learn about this country, the people, the culture, the language, the food, the weather. I was warned by Morgan to experience a culture shock and I expect that too. I hope not so much though. But anyway, I encountered one little situation I kind of regretted on this plane ride. After like 20 minutes or so, the little kid that sat next to me fell to sleep on her mom’s lap. I thought she was so cute. But, I went to sleep myself for a while and when I wake up at one time, I saw her mom wanted to go to the rest room and was having a hard time to make it simple for her daughter to keep sleeping until she go to the restroom and come back. So I figured maybe I can help by holding her daughter for a while and so that she will not wake up. So, I asked if she wanted me to hold her for a while. But then she pulled a surprised face and said NO. I then kept telling myself that I am a fool. I know in Ethiopia, somebody will say ‘Yes, thank you’ because I was trying to help. But I guess you mind about your own business only here. But what made me so uncomfortable was the fact that the mom became uncomfortable because I tried to help. May be she just suspected me to do something bad to her kid or may be something else but she became so afraid to leave her kid alone with me. So, she just stood up and tried to think. Then, she talked to the lady on the other side of the plane and asked her to watch her kid while she is gone to the restroom. I naively asked her to help and made her uncomfortable. Now that’s odd to me. Because I am sure at home that’s something to be appreciated. Any ways, I thought that was something different.
One incredible thing is they have internet service on the plane. You can connect your Smartphone or wi fi enabled device and access the web. I thought it was great to be able to access my facebook from 36000 ft. This is some advanced technology stuff.
We reached to Salt Lake City 10 minutes early than expected. It was so foggy and hard to see outside. Finally, I saw the fog is not just a normal fog but sprinkle of snow. I was so excited to see my first snow!! We finally get off from the airplane and I know Alan and Shelley are waiting for me at the baggage claim area. I asked for 2 peoples to show me where the baggage claim area and they told me to follow them. But just when we were about to reach to the escalator which will take me down to the bag claim area, I saw Alan and Shelley standing there waiting for me. I just couldn’t believe I made it here all alone. It was just unbelievable for me to think that I am in America. Wasn’t I dreaming about that a week ago? Now it all came true. I was so happy to see Alan and Shelley’s face. We hugged and greet and talked a bit. They were so happy to see me as well. I am sure it was surprising to see me walking towards them at the Airport.
                                                     Arriving at SLC Airport

I am so glad to have them as part of my life. It’s amazing how somebody could have enormous impact on the course of your life. We headed down to the baggage claim area to pick my bag. Luckily, my bags were not delayed or lost. Everything went perfect and smooth from start to finish. I did a great job ensuring everything go well by following instructions from Shelley and Tony. It’s been more than 14 hours since I arrived to America but I have been only to the Airports. So, it was time to go outside. When we went outside I thought to myself I really am going to freeze and die. I can see my breath since it’s so cold. When I say it’s cold, it is not a normal cold. This is a whole another level cold. This is DRY COLD!! I feel like I stepped into a freezer or something. We put my bags at the back of the car and we headed down to Shelley’s sister house. I came to know lots of American friends and they have one thing in common. They all hate the road system in Ethiopia. They all think it’s crazy. For somebody who never got out of the country before it’s kind of hard to really understand why they think like that. But now I know. The roads here are so organized and so wide. There are rules and these rules are not only on paper.They are to there to be respected and to be followed strictly. It makes driving so easy and not scary at all. No wonder why our country is top on road accidents.
Shelley’s sister Sara lives just outside of down town SLC. She is a registered nurse and works at the biggest medical center in town. I was able to see it when we were driving. She has a very nice house. Unfortunately though I wasn’t able to meet her because she needs to wake up early and she was sleeping at the time. By the time we reached her house its past midnight. So, we didn’t want to wake her up. I am sure I will get the chance to meet her sometime soon. It will be a pleasure. I got a room all for myself. It was a very nice room with a comfortable bed, a nice shower and with wi fi internet. So nice!! May be it’s because of the long flight; my appetite for food was gone. So, I just needed to rest. I took a shower and hop on bed. My mind started thinking and processing about all the stuff that have happened in the past 2 weeks or so for a while But, I have a very long day ahead of me tomorrow, So my body deserved to rest some more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment